The inquiry into the causes and circumstances attending the inrush which occurred at the Lofthouse Colliery, Yorkshire on 21st. The south 9B district was in the Flockton Thin seam to the west of the South 4 loader gate and the face was 5,600 yards from the Lofthouse pit bottom. At five yards beyond the No. March 1973, was conducted by J.W. It was later calculated that the depth of the shaft was approximately 660 feet. Historic Maps of Lofthouse Gate and the local area. Calder, C.B., O.B.E., B.Sc., C.Eng., F.I.Min.E., H.M. The Lofco path was named after the famous Lofco system of minecar handling equipment that was invented at Lofthouse Colliery in 1945. In 1908 this then became the site of Britain’s first ‘Amusement Park’, West Riding Electric Tramway Company, boasting a pavilion, haunted house, roller-skating rink and an aerodrome operating from 1913. REFERENCES The disaster led to sweeping changes in mining legislation. Information supplied by Ian Winstanley and the Coal Mining History Resource Centre. Located 3 miles north of Wakefield, Lofthouse Colliery Nature Park consists of woodland, heathland, playing fields and a pond. Inspector of Mines and Quarries, recovered the body which was identified as Charles Cotton. Sign-in or Register. When everything was considered it was realised that the recovery of the bodies would necessitate the clearing of the debris from the gates and face and would invite the possibility of a further inrush. The shafts were deepened to the Beeston Seam (401m deep) in 1911. The south 9B district was in the Flockton Thin seam to the west of the South 4 loader gate and the face was 5,600 yards from the Lofthouse pit bottom. LOFTHOUSE. There were four shafts. Wakefield, West Yorkshire,
Inspector of Mines and Quarries. Francis Frith The UK’s leading publisher of local photographs since 1860. Read and share The victims of the disaster were (recovered 26th March 1973). Fax: 01924 871199
we are open! March, the pumping of water at Lofthouse was making very little progress and it was decided that the mines rescue team from Hednesford, Staffordshire, the members of which were trained frogmen, should make a trial dive for 25 yards. The Silkstone shaft had winding equipment but there were no winding facilities at the Beeston shaft. By this time it had become apparent to those at the tailgate roadhead that something was wrong and R. Barrett, the tail gate shotfirer, attempted to make contact by telephone with anyone who might be available but got no reply. Most of the miners lived in Outwood, which had cottages, chapels, pubs and a working menâs club. Seven men died in the Lofthouse Colliery disaster 40 years ago, something the people who tried to rescue them have never forgotten. In 1973 800 men worked around the clock at Lofthouse Colliery in Wakefield bringing coal out of its rich seams. Calder, C.B., O.B.E., B.Sc., C.Eng., F.I.Min.E., H.M. The Lofthouse Colliery was in the North Area of the National Coal Board and was about 2 miles to the north of Wakefield on the western fringe of the workable coalfield. Tags. March, the Lofthouse colliery No.,2 rescue team started from the 1 in 6 drift to inspect the South 9B tail gate. Late in the afternoon of the 21st. It is surrounded by a Lofthouse Colliery was the lifeblood of the local community for over a hundred years. 20 methane drainage hole there was a slit and rubble which reached to about 3 feet 6 inches from the roof. Share Thread. Although the water level was within 14 inches of the roof at the outbye end. Rigid bars and hydraulic props were used in the roadhead areas and powered supports throughout the face. On the 19th, April, all interested parties inspected the district. It was therefore impossible to set down briefly in correct chronological order the events which followed. In theÂ summer, listen for cuckoos andÂ blackcaps. After an assessment of the situation it was decided to install pumps in the 1 in 6 drift to lower the water level and regain access to the district. at 2 a.m. B. Kus was in advance of the face near the main gate roadhead when he heard a rumbling noise, looked along the face and saw lights at what he estimated to be 30 yards. Lofthouse Colliery The Lofthouse Colliery was in the North Area of the National Coal Board and was about 2 miles to the north of Wakefield on the western fringe of the workable coalfield. March, work began on a small “piggy-back” roadway over the arches at the foot of the 1 in 6 drift to try to gain access to the slot and to the tail gate over the wooden doors. Connaught House,
Find business profiles with contact info, phone numbers, opening hours & much more on Cylex. It was a dirty, dark dangerous job. Had they delayed a little longer this escape route would almost certainly have been blocked. Shortly afterwards N, Siddal of the National Coal Board’s Member for Mining arrived. Before mid-day it was reported that the Engine pit and Bull Pit were exposed and that water could also be heard falling down them. Both gates were formed by conventional ripping and packing, with the main gate supported by arch girders 10 feet wide and 8 feet high set at 3 feet intervals and the tail gate similarly supported by 8 feet wide by 7 feet high steel arches. This valuable habitat is a good placeÂ to look for lichens and invertebrates. Lofthouse was used as the Area Training Centre for Bevin Boys and youths from other pits in underground areas. Terms & Conditions of Use The colliery closed in 1981. The OS 1952-59 mapping shows the pit has now extended north and east and the extension continues north over the next two decades of the pit’s use. He told Barrett, who was still at the inbye end of the South 9B tail gate, what had happened and was advising him to withdraw his men when Willoughby the main gate shotfirer arrived, took the telephone and told Barrett to withdraw his men immediately. photo of Lofthouse Gate. on Lofthouse Gate See the The buildings and pit are also visible in the background of a photograph of Lofthouse Gate Brickworks.
Is Travis Fimmel Married
The Miniaturist Review
Come Drink With Me (1966 Full Movie)
Hammond Stadium Covid-19