Skip to content Skip to navigation

Holiday safety

The Silly Season approaches…

Although the forthcoming months bring us both fun and religious holidays, it seems to be the time when people forget about common sense and indulge in reckless behaviours.

What with Diwali (festival of lights), Hallowe’en, Guy Fawkes (5 November ), Christmas, Hannukah and New Year, the opportunities for candle and fire-cracker celebrations are plentiful. We need to remember that fallen candles account for a large percentage of all fires and burns. Candles should never be left unattended.

If your family celebrates with fire-crackers, make sure everyone knows about fireworks safety. Fireworks can cause burn and eye injuries … it’s always best to attend public fireworks displays, and leave the lighting to the professionals.

Lighting fireworks at home isn't even legal in many areas, so you need to check before you light any firework. Firecrackers, rockets, and sparklers are very dangerous and should not be handled by children. Remember sparklers can reach 982°C— hot enough to melt gold!
Never make your own fireworks and only use fireworks outside. Have a bucket of water or a hose nearby in case of accidents.
Soak all “dead” fireworks in a bucket of water before throwing them in the bin.

Fireworks are lovely to watch but you'll enjoy them much more knowing your family is safe.
www.nbasa.org.za

STJ